Just a quick rant from a busy writer on the sticking space bar key on the MacBook Air…
- MacBook Air 2018 – bought in Jan 2019.
- Loved it for the first two weeks (I still love it, just not the space bar key).
- Hated it for the next while the space bar key decided to, just some times, maybe, work (seriously, I just had re-write this sentence four times to remove the double spaces and fix the ‘no spaces’)
- Why is this frustrating? Because as a writer, you need to be able to open up your laptop and get straight to work. And why is it annoying to have slow down and re-type every other word? Because it stops the flow of writing and, in a 100,000 word manuscript, I already have enough editing to do without my technology working against me.
- Fixes I tried: running the loop end of small needle around its edge.
- Holding the lap top upside down and tapping on the bottom.
- Holding it sideways on 75 degree angle and blowing on it (mimicking the compressed air approach).
- Thought about buying a can of compressed air.
- Thought about prying it up (didn’t, after reading more advice online).
- Read about how I could take it on an hour drive to an Apple Store (because there isn’t one in the Melbourne CBD!!!!)
- Decided single-digit punching the troublesome key was the way to go – and it fixed it, mostly. Some times it still does not work, and some times it does a double space, but it appears to be only once in a sentence now, rather than in every other word.
- I still might take it into the Apple Store…
- But of all the keys to stick, why the Spacebar? If it only could have been the letter Q…
And there’s my rant…Happy reading!